Below are some of the things, old and new, that I've been using to calm him and make him feel safer.
- Lying down with him again at bedtime and staying until he falls asleep
- Face-to-face breathing exercises - I've always done these with him and they usually help.
- Setting the timer for transitions or for a calm period is a huge help.
- Classical music - it seems to calm him down and puts me in a better mood, too.
- The "Magic Circle" (Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child, p.103) - I got a big piece of twine, tied it in a circle, and showed D how we could stand in the circle and and use it to pull each other. His face lit up as if I'd finally delivered that skid-steer loader he's been asking for. "You mean we're connected??!?" I carry the twine in my pocket everywhere we go.