Tuesday, May 2, 2017

What else are we supposed to do?

Mom, can I go play basketball?
You know I don't like you going anywhere.
Aw, Mom, just to the rec center to play basketball.
Listen, any trouble happens, you walk straight home.
I will, Mom, I promise.



Mom, I want to go to this party.
Your grades are good, you've earned some fun.
And I'll be there with my own brothers.
Absolutely no drinking, you hear me?
Of course, Mom.
Any trouble happens, you get in the car to come home.
I will, Mom, I promise.



When they killed Trayvon, we were told our sons must never wear hoodies or get in trouble at school; otherwise, they deserve to die.

When they killed Michael, we were told our sons must never walk in the street or be rude; otherwise, they deserve to die.

When they killed Tamir, we were told our 12-year-olds must never be immature; otherwise, they deserve to die.

Tell me, please, tell me, what else are we supposed to do to keep them safe from the people who are supposed to keep them safe?

No comments:

Post a Comment