Monday, April 21, 2014

Some general notes about our trip

The family of my Colorado jaal are possibly the nicest people I have ever met. Our trip was a smashing success because of Dawitt.

Memories may not be conscious, but they are there. A felt at home much faster than he usually does in a new place.

Waiting is the quintessential African pastime.

Children in Ethiopia are treated and behave very differently than children in the United States.

The moment when they reunited... thank goodness there is video, because I could never adequately describe it.

After the intensity of the first reunions had passed, it was all very comfortable.

I am proud to be part of a group of adoptive families who are staying connected to their children's first families.

If you think our children are only ours, you are completely, totally, off-your-rocker, gone-round-the-bend, not-playing-with-a-full-deck, out-of-your-mind DELUSIONAL.

Our next trip must be much longer.

Details to follow...

4 comments:

  1. "If you think our children are only ours, you are completely, totally, off-your-rocker, gone-round-the-bend, not-playing-with-a-full-deck, out-of-your-mind DELUSIONAL."

    I think I love this.

    "Memories may not be conscious, but they are there. A felt at home much faster than he usually does in a new place."

    Yes, thank goodness. Thank goodness for this and all it means for adoptees and their first families.

    So happy that this trip was clearly everything you hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From this and from the photos you've shared on FB I can tell that this was a fantastic trip for both A and you. I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tears in my eyes reading this. Thank you for sharing this and I hope other families can start to be more open to this as it will bring healing for the children as well as their families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wait a minute, somehow it sent my comment as my teen son, I'm a Mom in her 50's the picture is my son adopted from Thailand who very much wants to find his family there.

    ReplyDelete